From as far back as I can remember I have always wanted to be a mother. I yearned for a house full of laughing, loving, living, but one that was clean and organized as well. Now that I am a mother- to three beautiful daughters- I am realizing that what I once thought motherhood to look like is not what it is. Where I once imagined control and peace and order is now filled with singing, twirling, toys scattered behind, and the forever "mess" of fresh art being created where ever the whim springs. I love the spring and summer because the art pours outside as well. I have to admit that had this been my first child, I would have rushed to keep those strippy leggings clean while the art was being made. But I have learned (ok, AM learning) that life is messy. Art is all around, and that is where we find the unexpected. Unexpected beauty. Unexpected joy. Unexpected life. As I took this picture, my older girls were chasing bubbles floating past, and my little one, drawn to the happiness of color, made her way to the chalk. She picked up the chalk and became part of the art evolving in my backyard each day. I love it. I grabbed my camera, totally let go of the dishes undone in the kitchen and the toys spilled out on the carpet, and took up my seat to witness life. My life. The kind of life I always never knew I wanted. My messy, loud, colorful life. I wouldn't trade these girls in this life for one perfectly organized minute.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Life in My Backyard...
From as far back as I can remember I have always wanted to be a mother. I yearned for a house full of laughing, loving, living, but one that was clean and organized as well. Now that I am a mother- to three beautiful daughters- I am realizing that what I once thought motherhood to look like is not what it is. Where I once imagined control and peace and order is now filled with singing, twirling, toys scattered behind, and the forever "mess" of fresh art being created where ever the whim springs. I love the spring and summer because the art pours outside as well. I have to admit that had this been my first child, I would have rushed to keep those strippy leggings clean while the art was being made. But I have learned (ok, AM learning) that life is messy. Art is all around, and that is where we find the unexpected. Unexpected beauty. Unexpected joy. Unexpected life. As I took this picture, my older girls were chasing bubbles floating past, and my little one, drawn to the happiness of color, made her way to the chalk. She picked up the chalk and became part of the art evolving in my backyard each day. I love it. I grabbed my camera, totally let go of the dishes undone in the kitchen and the toys spilled out on the carpet, and took up my seat to witness life. My life. The kind of life I always never knew I wanted. My messy, loud, colorful life. I wouldn't trade these girls in this life for one perfectly organized minute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment